In our office we discuss and anticipate the announcement of the Newbery, Caldecott and Printz Awards with passion and glee—and let’s just say that this morning there was a fair bit of squealing when the ALA named this year’s recipients.
Perhaps most of all, we are thrilled that Jon Klassen was awarded the Caldecott Award for This Is Not My Hat, the story of a big fish in pursuit of a tiny thief. For the October 2012 issue of BookPage, Klassen hand-illustrated a Q&A for us. We loved the result (and of course we loved the book itself!):
We are also tickled that Katherine Applegate won the Newbery Award for The One and Only Ivan, which we reviewed in January 2012. Reviewer Keven Delecki praised this “brave, moving story” about the animals who live at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall.
The Printz Award went to In Darkness by Nick Lake, which BookPage reviewer Kimberly Giarrantano described as “an incredible novel.” It’s a harrowing and compelling story about a teen boy in the aftermath of the 2010 Haitian earthquake.
For more on these award-winning books—and other fantastic picks for young readers—subscribe to Children’s Corner, our bimonthly e-newsletter. The next edition goes out Wednesday and will feature some very special interviews. (Hint, hint.)
And without further ado, here is a (partial) list of the 2013 Youth Media Award winners. Find the full list here, and click the links below to read coverage in BookPage.
2013 NEWBERY AWARD
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (HarperCollins)
- Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz (Candlewick)
- Bomb: The Race to Build—and Steal—the World’s Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin (Flash Point)
- Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage (Dial)
2013 CALDECOTT AWARD
This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen (Candlewick)
- Creepy Carrots! by Aaron Reynolds, illustrated by Peter Brown (Simon & Schuster)
- Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Jon Klassen (Balzer + Bray)
- Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger (Roaring Brook Press)
- One Cool Friend by Toni Buzzeo, illustrated by David Small (Dial)
- Sleep Like a Tiger by Mary Logue, illustrated by Pamela Zagarenski (Houghton Mifflin Books)
2013 PRINTZ AWARD
In Darkness by Nick Lake (Bloomsbury)
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz (Simon & Shuster)
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (Hyperion)
- Dodger by Terry Pratchett (HarperCollins)
- The White Bicycle by Beverley Brenna (Red Deer Press)
For even more recommendations for fantastic children’s and teen books, see our list of the Best Children’s Books for 2012.