Forget everything you thought you knew about ingredients. Our February Cookbook of the Month, Barbara Kafka’s The Intolerant Gourmet: Glorious Food Without Gluten & Lactose is proof that it is possible to enjoy lovely flavors while on a special diet.
Whether you’re lactose- or gluten-intolerant or are cooking for someone who is, The Intolerant Gourmet is a must-have!
Roasted Cherry Tomatoes with Orange and Cardamom
Serves 4 to 6
An unusual set of seasonings, but the tomatoes seem to enjoy them. I do.
- 2 pints stemmed cherry tomatoes (ample 4 cups)
- 11/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 5 strips orange zest, each 1/4 inch wide and 3 inches long
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed, peeled, and each cut lengthwise into 4 pieces
- 10 cardamom pods, hit with the flat of a knife to liberate about 2 teaspoons seeds
Heat the oven to 500°F with a rack in the center.
Put the tomatoes into a shallow 9-×-13-inch roasting pan. Add the olive oil and roll the tomatoes in it until thoroughly coated. Sprinkle with the salt. Roast for 10 minutes.